The Bigger View
The Bigger View is a political blog meant to encourage discussion about new ideas. Please vote in the poll to the right each time you come to this blog, and also feel free to comment on posts.
Sunday, February 26, 2006
 

Today was the Miami County Republican Convention. 481 delegates voted on whom Miami county Republicans would endorse in statewide primaries in May. As I walked into the gymnasium there was a gauntlet of candidates and supporters showering me with campaign material. One of the first things I received was a bag that I put everything in. I called it my bag of things I'm not going to read. Mrs. DeWine even gave me a cookbook from he DeWine Campaign and I told her that I would put it in my bag of things I wasn't going to read. Before everything began people went from person to person greeting whom they know, or greeting one of the candidates or their supporters.
The actual business of the convention went slowly. The keynote speaker was new House Majority Leader John Boehner. One notable endorsement was that the convention voted to endorse Tim Grendell over Betty Montgomery, a woman who just a month ago was running for governor. Also Mike DeWine had four opponents. Two of them picked up a handful of votes but David Smith had 118 votes. The convention endorsed Tim Grendell for Attorney General, Greg Hartman for Secretary of State, Jannette Bradley for Treasurer, Mary Taylor for Auditor, John Boehner, Mike DeWine for Senator, Dianna Fessler for 79th House District, and Kenneth Blackwell for Governor.
 
Comments:
It's too bad every county in Ohio doesn't have a party convention. It was great to be part of democracy at work. One of the things that I found most impressive was that John Boehner, obviously a very popular and well-respected politician in Miami Couny and one of the most powerful men in U.S. Government, supported Jim Petro for Governor. Yet the majority of delegates chose to follow their own instincts and endorse Ken Blackwell. (I personally prefer Petro, but I'll support Blackwell if he gets the nomination.) The convention was attended by party faithful, but not sheep.
 
democrats suck
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Information about health, drugs and online pharmacy.
Health Articles
More blogs about Politics.





ARCHIVES
November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 /


Powered by Blogger

Locations of visitors to this page